Sunday, June 21, 2009

Room 1005: Rick Steves

Keep on Traveling...

That's Rick's catch phrase that he says at the end of most of his PBS travel shows. (I know, more PBS. I'm obsessed and a wee bit shamed because there was another Pledge Drive this weekend and I once again did not donate. And the PBS Lady called me out on it. She said something like "If you are one of the nine out of ten regular PBS viewers who do not donate, well now's the time!" It kind of pissed me off and ignited a sliver of rebellion in me. Hence, no donation.) Rick, if I can be so familiar and call him Rick, has had a European PBS travel show for as long as I can remember which means within the last decade. He also writes a hell of a lot of guidebooks. His Europe Through the Backdoor (snicker) is all about budget traveling, packing light, money belts, and shoulder seasons. Don't know what "shoulder season" means? Go read Rick! His city and/or country specific books are great for museum tours. (My friend Krista and I were perplexed by the lack of guides/maps in Italian museums. Insert Shout Out for Rick here. On the subject of Krista, Rick and Italy: Rick's newest disciple, Krista, decided to read to me from the Rick Steves Italy book every night of our trip. She also read aloud the Rick Steves Venice canal tour description while we were actually on the Venice canal tour. Nothing says tourist like cold reading a Rick Steves book. I'm sorry I meant nothing says American tourist. Because we were not the only ones with a Rick Steves book. In fact, it was like a secret handshake. But replace "secret" with "obvious" and "handshake" with "blue Rick Steves book".)

Rick has a new book out now called Travel As a Political Act. I have it. Signed. By Rick.

Explanation due, I know. I get an email from Krista (surprised?) that says that Rick is speaking on the 17th and do I want to go? Hell yes, I do. Contrary to what you may have gleaned from above, I'll admit to being a minor Rick fangirl (not in a he's so dreamy way because no. More than one person I know has likened him to the SNL character, Lyle the Effeminate Heterosexual. I like him because he loves traveling and teaching people about other cultures. That's the dreamy part). I've seen almost all of his shows and have been known to tape an ep or two. I have Europe Through the Back Door. And I pack light. So yes, I very willingly went. And was really inspired. Rick had a slide show of pictures he's taken over the years and tells stories about the things he's learned about other cultures and how that has shaped his perception of the world and America's place in it. He alluded to his political leanings (as in referring to the "last 8 years" a lot but not uttering the name Bush) as well as revealing his membership in NORML which is a group that promotes legalizing marijuana and responsible non-criminal drug policies. Rick, you old hippie!

Rick even had a mini Q&A session where an Iranian guy asked him why his Iran shows didn't show the whole story and if he was asked to do a show on Germany during Hitler's reign would it have been different. It was an "oooooooooooo" moment. Rick responded in a mildy testy, defensive way that he is a travel host and not a journalist. Yep, I almost witnessed Rick Steves lose his shit! But he recovered nicely and was friendly. And even took a picture with the guy. Did I mention Rick also posed for pictures? No comment.

Amenities of Room 1005: Room with a back door. Drawer space only fits contents of one carry-on. The Holy Bible, Rick Steves Version.

No comments: